Monthly Archives: January 2010

Finished

The towels are finished. They shrank significantly in the wash, as expected, which really made the waffling pop.

Tea Towels

Categories: Weaving | Tags: , , | Leave a comment

The smock becomes a shirt

I removed the gores from my smock today, and will sew up the sides like a man’s shirt instead. This will reduce the amound of fabric bulk along the hem, letting me wear it with trousers as well as skirts. I’ve been thinking of making some boys garb for myself for mucking about in, and this way I won’t need to make a new shirt for it.

I’ve finished the neck, so now all that’s left to do it pleat the sleeve ruffles and attach them to the sleeves, and then hem the bloody thing.

On a side note, I’ve been trying to decide whether or not to bone the full front of my bodys. I’ve using the Dorothea style, which had unboned… er… cups (*cough* this is hard to write while keeping the content work-safe). I definately prefer the look of the full boning, but leaving the top parts unboned is supposed to give a smoother line. I’ve already veered from the original, in that my pair will be front-lacing (yay for dressing oneself!). I’ll probably go for the full front. I can always cut the reed back if I change my mind later.

Categories: Sewing | Tags: , , , | 2 Comments

Birthday Present

I’ve decided to splurge on a birthday present for myself, and went ahead and ordered a 17th century silk threads kit.

I’ve been following the Plimoth Plantation’s blog (continued here) since it began. For those of you who don’t know, the Plimoth Plantation has taken it upon themselves to recreate a 17th-century embroidered jacket (think Laton jacket), and have been blogging the process. The jacket is now finished, and looks amazing. I hope some day to see it in person.

I’ve been wanting to support this project for a while since it’s been such a tremendous resource for me (inspiration, instructions for different embroidery stitches, etc). There’s been talk of a book about their project and all the research that went in to it (drool), but nothing concrete has been announced. I doubt I’ll get to see the finished piece anytime soon it would still be a joy to see the exact colours of thread they used to make it.

Now I sit here waiting for the postman. It won’t be here for weeks and weeks. *twitch*

Categories: Other | Tags: , , | 2 Comments

The Sewing Continues…

I finally manged to satisfactorily pleat the neck ruffle last night. This step always takes me a while. I also added the neck gores to the neck opening, and finished the sleeve seams. I’d take pictures, but it really just looks like a bunch of white linen.

Left to do:

  • Finish the front neck opening, pleat the neck hole into the neckband
  • Add cuff ruffles, pleat the sleeves into the cuff
  • Hem and finish

The yellow bodys is all cut out. Next up will be chalking on the lines for boning channels and stitching those up in the linen thread.

Categories: Sewing | Tags: , , , | Leave a comment

Finally Knitting

My needles have arrived and I’ve cast on the hem. I’m using a long-tail cast on, for no particular reason than it’s the one I always use.

This sweater will be slow going – partially because there’s almost 300 stitches per round (and that takes some time to knit), partially because it’s on really small needles (size 3’s), and partially because my weaving and sewing projects currently have higher priority. Still, I plan on dragging this to knitting-appropriate outings, so there will be some progress. Expect updates as I go.

Categories: Knitting | Tags: , | Leave a comment

Sewing again

Cold winters have been great inspiration for crafty projects at home.

Currently, apart from the knitting and weaving, I’ve been working on a new Elizabethan/Jacobean outfit from the skin out. I ordered the linen over a year ago, but with so much happening I never really managed to do much.

First up, a high necked smock of fine white linen. I’ve made good progress so far. The body is together and the sleeves are attached. All that remains to do is the collar/cuffs. This is the slow part as I’ve been having trouble getting the pleating the way I want it. I spent the weekend pleating and re-pleating, only to end up back where I started. I’m going to pore through the latest PoF this evening for inspiration before I go at it again.

Because I like to change up projects when I get frustrated (or bored), I also cut out the linen for my pair of bodys. I’m using a pattern this time instead of going it on my own. The outer layer is a mustard yellow linen, with the lining and interlining in white. I managed to find linen thread in the exact same colour, so I’ll be using that for all visible stitching. It will be boned with reed.

Once these are completed, I’ll be making petticoats of the same mustard yellow linen and sky blue. After that, a jacket in rose-pink linen.

Categories: Sewing | Tags: , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Final Weft

I’m on the last weft now. Green this time.
Tea Towels

A bought a new stool for my loom. It’s much more confortable. I’m hoping this will help with the amount of time I can weave before I have to take a break.

Categories: Weaving | Tags: , , | Leave a comment

Third Weft Colour

Here’s the third waffle weave towels weft. The off-white really brightens up the other colours.

Tea Towels

Categories: Weaving | Tags: , , | Leave a comment

Blog at WordPress.com.