My plan for the apron dress was to add a couple of horizontal stripes into the weave. I figured, since I’m weaving this specific to the pattern, why not have some fun with it. Looking at my mock-up, I’m seeing a flaw in the plan.
By using rectangular construction, my side gores are never going to sit parallel to my front panel. This means my stripes won’t be straight. I knew as much, but had hoped it would not be as pronounced.
In the photo below, I’ve tried two different ways to set my gores. On the left, the bias is sewn to the straight body sides. On the right, I’ve sewn straight to straight. The yellow lines give a better outline of the edges. The red line represents the woven stripe.
If I go with the option on the left, I can lengthen my gores and trim to get a straight hem. If I choose the right, I can to trim off the excess and reinforce the seam to prevent stretching (perhaps with a tablet-woven seam). The trouble is what to do about my stripes.
So, my options are a rising stripe on the side, a falling stripe on the side (which is straight if you lay the dress out flat), or just doing a stripe on the body and leaving the gores plain.