I decided to do a batch of aprons as Hogswatch gifts. The pattern is Emmeline by Sew Liberated – my favourite apron pattern.
This summer we were gifted a free ‘just take it away’ hot tub. It needed some parts so we ended up putting some money in, but not nearly what it would cost to buy one new (or even used in working order).
Of course, I don’t own a swimsuit that fits comfortably. After looking at the prices those ‘cute swimsuit’ stores placed on teensy fabric pieces, I decided this would be an opportunity to learn to work with stretch fabrics.
My goal, an attractive swimsuit with good bottom coverage. Enter – The Bombshell Swimsuit.
All in all, this was a good project. The steps are well explained and the sew-along blog is very helpful. I found working with gathers in stretch fabric to be the most challenging part – and getting the top-stitching nice and even. I used fabric I bought at half-price for an inexpensive test run.
All in all, I am very pleased with the result.
I took a break from my medieval sewing to make myself a cute summer dress.
We’ve needed a new kneeling pillow in the Baronial regalia for quite some time. Something heavy duty and machine washable. I finally made one.
This blog has been unusually silent, but I have not been idle. I’ve been working on a set of garb for my elevation to the Order of the Laurel. It might not sound like much, but it’s a big honour in my club. I now have pictures to share with you all.
For my birthday this year, we’re doing a speakeasy/Gatsby-type theme, and I decided I needed something faboo to wear. Not finding anything I liked in my budget, I found some great fabric for half price online, and went from there.
They only had two yards, so I didn’t have a lot to work with. I’m thinking a straight top, cut along the pattern on the bottom, with handkerchiefy flounces in plain black sheer fabric. Sort of like this.
I finished the dress. The pattern was very simple – I would use it again. I’m not s huge fan of how the elastic was done at the waist – next time I’ll add bias around the edge to clean it up.
I’ve decided to make myself a pretty summer dress. Partly because I have nothing to wear to my Aunt’s wedding, partly because I don’t own many (any, really) summer dresses, and mostly because I fell in love with this fabric.
I’ve slapped together a mock-up using a light cotton. I have to say it’s a lot different from the sewing I usually do, so I don’t know how I feel about it. It’s a bit looser in the bodice than I like so I’ll take it one size down for the actual dress.
Dame Helen has been kind enough to begin fitting me for a cotehardie pattern.
My inspiration is the dress here. I love the squared off outer sleeves (and the veils).
I’ve been toying with the idea of Ottoman garb (to match my husband) for some time now. With our first Pennsic coming up is seemed like a good time to start.
On my to do list is:
- A gomlek (undershirt) or two.
- Salwar (the trousers). I already have one pair of these, but I might make another.
- Chirka (fitted undertunic)
- Entari (overcoat)
I found some fantastic fabric that I plan to use for the entari, and will base the colours of the rest of the outfit around that.