I need to tack down the last of the trim, finish the cap sleeves, and make new undersleeves and a new partlet, but I’m quite pleased with how it is coming along.
Posts Tagged With: elizabethan
The tabs are on and the skirt is attached. Now I am embroidering down the front of the skirt.
The main doublet couching and spangling is completed. Now I just need to add tabs and shoulder wings.
Basic Elizabethan breeches for the hubby.
My spangles (they’re like sequins) have arrived, and I’ve sewn a few on the front panel to see how they look. They catch the like and shine like little jewels.
I’ve couched the front panels…
I’ve been couching the gold like mad, stopping only to make more gold cord. The vertical stripes are all done, and I’ve started on the panels. I also need to add the small chevrons inside the vertical bands in the lower portion of the doublet and at the shoulders.
I’m debating doing the full hanging sleeves, or just shoulder wings. I think I will wait and see how long the embroidery takes me, to see if I have time to do the large sleeves.
I’ve decided on the pattern for the inner panels of my doublet. The original is from Modelbuch aller art Nehewercks un Strickens (1527). While the design is from a modelbuch 40 years earlier than the fashion of the dress, it’s not too far a departure from the original doublet to be unreasonable. Knotwork and vining style motifs continued to be used throughout this period. Spangles have also been used as dress decoration, though they are more commonly seen on coifs and jackets.
I like this design. It adds a nice complexity while remaining within my abilities. I’ll be adding gilt spangles where the dots are.
The stripes are finished one one quarter of the doublet. I still have the embroidery to add in the bottom panels, but I’m making good progress.
I have four months to complete this outfit, so I need to get back on track.
I’ve decided to get the cording portion of the doublet done, and attach the tabs and skirt. Basically, get as much of the dress done as possible. That way if I run out of time I don’t have to do the fancy couched bits.
Here’s my to do list:
- Square-necked shift
- Partlet with attached ruff
- Wrist ruffs
- Petticoat bodies
- Doublet embroidery
- Add tabs
- Add skirt to doublet
- Skirt embroidery
- French Hood
Of this, the shift and petticoat bodies are close to finished. The partlet, ruffs, and other accoutrements are not even started. The doublet is still being embroidered, and I still need to do 32 buttons (out of 40).