Posts Tagged With: orange fitted gown

Almost Done

I need to tack down the last of the trim, finish the cap sleeves, and make new undersleeves and a new partlet, but I’m quite pleased with how it is coming along.

Fitted Gown

Fitted gown in progress

Categories: Sewing | Tags: , , | 2 Comments

Sleeves In Progress

I’ve made progress on my new sleeves.  I’m using this portrait as inspiration, but am diverging slightly. I’ve made them a bit longer, and I haven’t padded them.  I want to ensure I still have full range of motion in my arms, since this dress is for archery.

Sleeve


Sleeve in progress

The bottom edge isn’t finished yet, but so far I think they look great.

Categories: Sewing | Tags: , , | Leave a comment

Orange Fitted Gown Redux

The bodice is refitted (a little snugly – I hope to loose a little more weight in the next four weeks).  The skirt is reattached.  I have drafted and am cutting out new sleeves.

Before the sleeves can go on the dress needs to be finished and trimmed.  I want to make sure I have enough trim for the main body before putting trim on the sleeves.

I’ll do some hand sewing and add the hooks and eyes today, and hopefully have time to pin the majority of the trim.

Categories: Sewing | Tags: , , | Leave a comment

Rethinking Sleeves

I’m not happy with my sleeves.  So, since I’m taking the dress apart I’m rethinking options for re-doing them.  I just don’t have the time to experiment with boning or padding them up properly.

I think I’ll try something like this instead:

Portrait of Eleonora di Don Garzia di Toledo

 

Categories: Sewing | Tags: , , | Leave a comment

Back to the Drawing Board

This orange dress just isn’t working for me.  I can’t get the fit right after losing weight.  So, I’m going to admit defeat, take it apart, and refit it properly.  That means taking in about three inches and raising the skirt.  Hopefully the skirt will still be long enough, if now, I’ll add another strip of linen around the bottom.

On a happier note, the hat is coming along well.  The buckram is cut, wired, and I’m gluing the interlining g on.

Categories: Sewing | Tags: , , , | Leave a comment

Orange Fitted Gown So Far

The main body of the dress is done.  To accomodate my weight change I am turning over the front to shoe the black lining.  I think it still looks rather nice.

Orange_Front
The front
Orange_Back
The back

 

Categories: Sewing | Tags: , , | 2 Comments

Orange Fitted Gown Redux

I’ve lost some weight recently, and now I am swimming in my orange dress.  The plan is to rework the front opening with a fold over to show the black lining.  Should look nice.

Categories: Sewing | Tags: , , | Leave a comment

Orange Fitted Gown

Now that I have two layers of linen I’m worried the full pleated back will be too much.  If it is I can always remove the excess, so I’m going to keep going.

Once I finish pleating the skirt on, I need to add the sleeves and close up the lining.  Then I need to add the front panels and fasten them.  I’ll be using hook and eye tape rather than individual hooks and eyes for extra security.

This is a complete experiment, so I’m hoping it will work out okay.

Categories: Sewing | Tags: , , | Leave a comment

Orange Fitted Gown

The orange dress is coming along nicely. The bodice is fitted, now to add the skirt and sleeves.

Bodice

Orange Bodice

Categories: Sewing | Tags: , , | Leave a comment

Mockup for the Orange Fitted Gown

This is the first mockup for my orange gown.  It will need more tweaking from here. Ignore the horrible pink fabric – it was cheap.

Dress_Front

Dress front

The sleeve on the left has too much padding, the sleeve on the right has none.  Somewhere about halfway between them should be about right.  The back is way too flat.  I’m going to take out that piece and try a larger one and pleat it in.  I’m also contemplating moving the side seam forward a bit and adding pockets.

Dress_Side

Dress side

Categories: Sewing | Tags: , , | Leave a comment

Blog at WordPress.com.