I am not a spinner. Even if I was I haven’t had the time to learn to do it well – certainly not well enough to even contemplate it for a project of this magnitude. So, one of the first steps I will need to tackle is finding a commercial supplier of a ‘close enough’ yarn for the project. So, lets talk about what who know about the yarns used in the extant pieces that I plan (for sure) on weaving – the coloured striped fabric, and the kirtle fabric.
All fabrics used in the garments, with the exception of breast flap and the collar of the shirt (the coloured striped bits), is 2/2 twill weave wool. The coloured striped fabric is a weft-faced 2/1 twill weave wool. Both have a Z-spun warp and a S-spun weft.
- On the body and the back gore there is a strip of lighter-coloured weft.
- Woven with two shuttles, except in the lighter weft stripe.
- Warp contain highly pigmented wools. Would likely have been dark grey.
- Weft contains from white to medium pigmented wool.Would likely have been from grey to light grey.
- EPI (main): 9.4/cm =~ 24
- EPI (front/back gores): 10.5 & 10/cm =~ 26
- PPI (main): 6.9/cm =~ 17.5
- PPI (front/back gores): 7.3 & 7.5 /cm =~ 19
- Warp diameter: 0.8 mm
- Weft diameter: 1-1.2 mm
- Two warp yarns, one lighter/thinner. Dark warp contains come white wool blended with much darker fibres. Lighter warp is white wool to white mixed with darker fibres. The colour difference is believed to have been obscured by light felting and appearing light grey in colour.
- Two weft yarns, with significant variation in size. Weft is white to medium pigmented wool (light grey to grey).
- Pigment source is unknown, likely natural to the wool.
- EPI (main – light warp): 10 – 10.9/cm =~ 25-27
- EPI (main – dark warp): 6.5-6.7/cm =~ 16.7-17
- EPI (sleeves/gores – light warp): 10.2 – 12/cm =~ 25-30
- EPI (sleeves/gores – dark warp): 10.8-12.4/cm =~ 27-31
- EPI (red collar): 11/cm =~ 28
- PPI: 6-7.4/cm =~ 15-19
- PPI (red collar): 7.2/cm =~18
- Warp diameter (light): 0.80 mm
- Warp diameter (dark): 0.72 mm
- Weft diameter: 0.9mm / 1.37 mm
- Weave: 2/1 (weft-dominant) twill
- EPI: 14.5/cm =~ 37
- PPI (red/green): 8.2/cm =~ 21
- PPI (gold): 21.3/cm =~ 54
- PPI (green): 27.2/cm =~ 69
- Warp diameter (warp is green): 0.56 mm
- Weft diameter (red): 0.73 mm
- Weft diameter (green in green-red): 0.90 mm
- Weft diameter (green): 0.46 mm
- Weft diameter (gold): 0.64 mm
Unfortunately, I don’t think I will be able to find this much variety in commercial yarns. Over the next while I’ll be ordering some samples to test with.