I’ve finished the underpinnings for my Elizabethan wardrobe. Eventually, I’d like to add eyelets to the straps of my bodies to attach sleeves, but that will have to wait for now. All in all, I think it turned out rather well.
Posts Tagged With: yellow bodys
I managed to use my time productively this weekend and knock through a number of my sewing tasks.
I’ve completely finished my plain shirt, except for a fastening at the neck (which I’m not going to bother with right now since I so rarely wear it closed and I haven’t decided what fastenings I want to use). I’ve completely finished my yellow petticoat and bodies, AND I’ve hemmed my blue petticoat. My jacket lining is cut out, all ready to be basted and fitted.
Still, my to do list is getting much shorter. My goal is to have it all done by mid-May.
My thread arrived and I’ve finished the eyelets on my bodies (and will get to the ones on my yellow petticoat eventually). This means that I have the base layer complete, and can start fitting my jacket. I have a mock-up partly done, and I think it’s good enough I can cut my lining for final fitting.
My goal is to the the fill thing finished by mid-May.
I’ve taken a break from sewing to make the lucet cord for lacing my bodies.
My bodys are done, except for the lacing holes. These I’ll do next week, as I’m waiting for the thread in the mail.
I’m now cutting the fabric for my yellow petticoat. This way I’ll have everything ready when I pull out the sewing machine (I have to keep it packed away). Living in a tiny apartment sure has it’s down sides. I’ve decided to use a front opening on the petticoat, so as to try attack_laurel’s petticoat lacing technique (now with pictures).
I gave in and dug out the sewing machine last night to sew up the boning channels. I just wasn’t getting them straight enough with handsewing.
My plan is to bone the channels with the reed, and then handsew over top of the machine-basting. This way I get the benefit of straight lines by using the foot as a guide, but the machine stitching won’t be visible on the finished item. I’d call that a win-win.
I’m using 1mm round reed purchased from Reconstructing History.
After wetting the reed to soften out the curls and letting dry overnight, I’m now hard at work inserting it into the boning channels. This is my first time using reed, and it’s really not as hard to work with as I’d expected.
I removed the gores from my smock today, and will sew up the sides like a man’s shirt instead. This will reduce the amound of fabric bulk along the hem, letting me wear it with trousers as well as skirts. I’ve been thinking of making some boys garb for myself for mucking about in, and this way I won’t need to make a new shirt for it.
I’ve finished the neck, so now all that’s left to do it pleat the sleeve ruffles and attach them to the sleeves, and then hem the bloody thing.
On a side note, I’ve been trying to decide whether or not to bone the full front of my bodys. I’ve using the Dorothea style, which had unboned… er… cups (*cough* this is hard to write while keeping the content work-safe). I definately prefer the look of the full boning, but leaving the top parts unboned is supposed to give a smoother line. I’ve already veered from the original, in that my pair will be front-lacing (yay for dressing oneself!). I’ll probably go for the full front. I can always cut the reed back if I change my mind later.
I finally manged to satisfactorily pleat the neck ruffle last night. This step always takes me a while. I also added the neck gores to the neck opening, and finished the sleeve seams. I’d take pictures, but it really just looks like a bunch of white linen.
Left to do:
- Finish the front neck opening, pleat the neck hole into the neckband
- Add cuff ruffles, pleat the sleeves into the cuff
- Hem and finish
The yellow bodys is all cut out. Next up will be chalking on the lines for boning channels and stitching those up in the linen thread.
Cold winters have been great inspiration for crafty projects at home.
Currently, apart from the knitting and weaving, I’ve been working on a new Elizabethan/Jacobean outfit from the skin out. I ordered the linen over a year ago, but with so much happening I never really managed to do much.
First up, a high necked smock of fine white linen. I’ve made good progress so far. The body is together and the sleeves are attached. All that remains to do is the collar/cuffs. This is the slow part as I’ve been having trouble getting the pleating the way I want it. I spent the weekend pleating and re-pleating, only to end up back where I started. I’m going to pore through the latest PoF this evening for inspiration before I go at it again.
Because I like to change up projects when I get frustrated (or bored), I also cut out the linen for my pair of bodys. I’m using a pattern this time instead of going it on my own. The outer layer is a mustard yellow linen, with the lining and interlining in white. I managed to find linen thread in the exact same colour, so I’ll be using that for all visible stitching. It will be boned with reed.
Once these are completed, I’ll be making petticoats of the same mustard yellow linen and sky blue. After that, a jacket in rose-pink linen.